Thursday, April 21, 2011

Allen Heath


Allen Heath (January 3, 1918-March 6, 1981) began his racing career in Seattle in 1938 and became a successful driver in many parts of the U.S.
Heath appeared in the 1949 MGM movie "The Big Wheel" in which he did the driving scenes of the character played by Mickey Rooney.
Heath's left hand was amputated at the wrist after a 1953 accident at the Illiana Speedway in Indiana. He resumed his racing career in 1955. In 2000 Heath was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen Heath is my favorite multi winner at Ascot Raceway in Gardena, CA. His autograph and racing memories are among my treasures! Thank you Allen Heath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen Heath was my favorite race driver at Ascot Park Raceway during the late 50's and early 60's. My Dad was Publicity Director (Art Loya) at that time and I went with him almost weekly to the track. Allen let me sit in his car after one of his main event winnings. He posed with me in the picture. I was only 12 years at that time. I still have that picture to this day.

    ReplyDelete